by Kris Katz
Brief spoiler-free entertainment reviews

Friday, February 12, 2010

Bandits (2001)

At about two-thirds through the movie, I just completely stopped caring. For all the money poured into the production, all the twists and turns the plot tried to take, and as amazing as Cate Blanchett looks as a redhead, there is barely anything in this movie that doesn't feel like it wasn't plucked from any number of made-for-TV movies. Almost every move the plot makes is telegraphed a half-hour in advance, and when something of interest does make an appearance the script trots out almost every cliché imaginable. It's a shame too, because watching bank robbers Bruce Willis and Billy-Bob Thornton squabble seems like it would be a fuel for more than a few laughs. And don't even get me started on the so-called comic relief character. This isn't an unbearable movie, it's just dull. It lacks drive and momentum, and often consistency.

3 out of 10.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I definitely disagree with you on this one.

This is one of my favourite childhood movies(Im 18 give me a break, and yes I was watching this when I was 10).

There was just some kind of charm about this movie that had me from beginning to end. Agree to disagree.