by Kris Katz
Brief spoiler-free entertainment reviews

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' by JK Rowling (Book - 2007)

We would've also accepted Harry Potter and the End of the Franchise, or Harry Potter and the Novelization of the Upcoming Movie. If you've followed it this far, then you've probably already got your own thoughts on this book, having read it all in a single night like I know more than 2 of you did. Okay, here's my main issue with this book: Why shun most of the universe you've spent six novels building? It honestly wasn't till I read this one that I realized how much I enjoyed the familiar world that had been carefully crafted over so many years, which is why I found the majority of the book a minor disappointment. Make no mistake, I still think it's a grand read and a mostly-fitting conclusion to the biggest, fattest cash cow since Star Wars, but I had the damnedest time getting into this one. Everytime Rowling would cash a bit more of that emotional equity I just felt cheapened, or confused, or worst: nothing at all. That said, the last quarter of the book is the real deal, and some of the best writing to come out of that pen, period. I guess what I'm saying (or not saying, because I'm trying my absolute hardest to avoid spoilers) is that if you've been with it this long, go for it. Just don't expect another 'Order of the Phoenix'.


7 out of 10.
Or maybe an 8...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a pity, that now I can not express - I hurry up on job. But I will return - I will necessarily write that I think on this question.