by Kris Katz
Brief spoiler-free entertainment reviews

Sunday, September 9, 2007

TMNT (2007)

I can't believe I'm about to say this: I hope this movie gets a sequel. While it falls into many of the traps that aimed-mostly-at-kids films tend to fall into, it nonetheless manages to come across as wonderful return for four+ of my childhood idols. The acting is great, the animation is spectacular, and the action scenes are exceptionally well done (the fight in the rain is particularly exciting). The movie tends to be a bit too quick-paced for its own good at times, preferring to throw you through plot with redundant exposition at a break-neck speed, but the personalities of the entire crew, from the four turtles to April, to Casey Jones and the rest managed to tickle my nostalgia bone for all the right reasons. Even with everything it gets right however, it still has trouble keeping its footing for the majority of its running time. The things it gets right are stellar, but there are just enough hard-to-define off balance elements that keep it from being what it could be. A more focused sequel could fix a lot of these elements and bring in more outstanding action scenes as well. Maybe somehow bring in Shredder too... Till then, I'm mostly pleased with what I saw.


7 out of 10.

No comments: