by Kris Katz
Brief spoiler-free entertainment reviews

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Live Free or Die Hard (2007)

And here's where it falls apart. After an amazing start, a bit of a stumble, and a triumphant return, it is really sad to see such a grand series go out with such a whimper. It isn't that this is necessarily a bad movie in its own right, either. In fact at worst, taken on its own, it's merely a bog standard, bland summer action film. What makes this effort so sad is that it betrays almost everything that makes Die Hard what it is. Gone is the everycop, gone is plausibility, gone is the workmanship that seems evident in all the previous films. Instead we get a super-slick, damn near family friendly action film attempt at re-branding the series to seem more “modern.” Oh no! The terrorists are after the internets. All of them! And only superhero cop John McClaine, with his invincible bone structure and implausibly great luck, can stop them. I'm not buying it. Neither should you.

3 out of 10.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Ouch..lol

I felt so flip floppy about this movie. On one hand, I was so excited about a new die hard Movie, and on the other, I was so afraid of a new die hard.

You have the opinion of so many people I know. Although I agree, the biggest flaw in this movie, was destroying it's credibility. I mean, I even cringed when john Mclane jumped on that harrier jet.

But to rate this along a 3 out of 10, and put it among "the happening" and "ghost rider" is just as cringe worthy.

Overall I would rate this a 6 out of 10, just because it's die hard, and it still has some class, despite it's faults. I mean I refuse to believe it is as bad as The Happening, YUCK!