by Kris Katz
Brief spoiler-free entertainment reviews

Monday, October 15, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth (2006)

Unfortunately the biggest problem with movies espousing environmental change is that if you're not already of the mindset prone to that line of thinking then there's precious little chance of you ever seeing the film, let alone being persuaded by it. It really is too bad, since Al Gore's much politicized polemic on potential catastrophe is at the very least slickly presented and compelling throughout. The most remarkable thing to me about the way the argument is pushed is that it manages not to lay blame at anyone's feet. I admit to agreeing with the conceits listed in the film, but I am also just as guilty of helping along disaster as most anyone reading this. Never once did I feel as though I were being yelled at or made to feel bad for my behavior. Rather it seemed more like a laundry list of issues, and a much shorter list of possible fixes. I felt encouraged by its end, not guilty. So I say to those who read this who may think that Global Warming is a myth to give this doc a shot. The worst it could do is bore you for ninety minutes while giving you a pile of bullet points to disprove to us greenies.

8 out of 10.



Note: In the interest of a fuller discussion, it's worth pointing out that this film has recently caused further controversey in Britan.

No comments: